Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Man in the Mirror, chapter 18 summary

ANGER

I lose my temper, but its all over in a minute," said the student. "So is the hydrogen bomb," I replied. "But think of the damage it produces!" George Sweeting

The Problem
What makes you angry?

Occasionally we become angry for a righteous cause, but ninety- nine percent of the time we become angry because we are selfish and impatient.
I have never lost my temper at the office -- I would never want my colleagues to think I couldn't control myself.
Rarely a week goes by in which the sparks of family life don't provide good tinder for a roaring fire of anger.

Three Angry Men:
Freddie Flash. His anger is a frequency problem.
Cary Control. His anger is an intensity problem.
Gary Grudge. His anger is a duration problem.

What Makes Us Angry That Shouldn't:
Violation of rights.
Disappointment with station in life.
Blocked goals.
Irritations.
Feeling misunderstood.
Unrealistic expectations.
Pathological/Psychological.

Responding to Anger:
Keep control. "A fool gives vent to his anger, but a wise man keeps himself under control." Proverbs 29:11
Overlook offenses. "A man's wisdom gives him patience; but it is to his glory to overlook an offense." Proverbs 19:11
Avoid angry men. "Do not make friends with a hot tempered man, do not associate with one easily angered, or you may learn his ways and get yourself ensnared." Proverbs 22:24-25
Appease anger. "A gentle answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger." Proverbs 15:1

No comments: